Honestly, white asparagus is so good but so hard to get right. It might be too hard, too soft, tastes like nothing, or it is woody. And for the price, it really is not worth making it at home if the chances of failing are so high, right?
Wrong! Making asparagus can be so easy if you know how to do it properly: in the oven! And here is how.
- 1kg white asparagus, about 1-1,5cm thick
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180° degrees.
- Peel the white asparagus thoroughly and cut off the ends. Divide the asparagus into two to three portions.
- For each portion, place two sheets of aluminum foil on top of each other. Place the asparagus lengthwise in the middle of the foil and add a teaspoon of butter, a little salt and half a teaspoon of sugar to each.
- Close the first sheet of foil over the asparagus and fold in the sides. Close the second sheet in the same way and fold it in so that no liquid can escape.
- Place the asparagus packets on the rack in the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes.
- The asparagus is ready when the aluminum packages bend slightly when lifted.
Et voila – perfect white asparagus every single time! Enjoy!